Millfield Arts Centre sits in a parkland setting in Edmonton, North East London. Its 362 seat auditorium is a receiving house for popular entertainment, including drama, comedy, music, musicals, talk and children’s theatre. The recently revamped theatre now has a stylish new cafe-bar open every day of the week - open for brunch, lunch, dinner and Sunday roasts. Millfield Arts Centre also incorporates Millfield House, a Georgian mansion offering rehearsal space, meeting rooms, office space and creation space for the Creative Industries. An extensive education programme also runs from the House and includes youth theatre, art clubs and dance workshops.
Millfield Theatre opened in 1988. It is owned, managed and funded entirely by London Borough of Enfield. It has 12 full time staff working on site at the theatre, and employs many more casual staff. Ushers at the theatre are all volunteers.
Millfield Theatre is marketed under the umbrella of Millfield Arts Centre, which encompasses Millfield Theatre and Millfield House. Millfield House contains rooms which are available for hire, and also plays host to a number of educational classes and workshops for children and adults. This is marketed under the banner of Millfield Education.
Millfield House first mentioned in 1796 when it belonged to John Wigston of Trent Park. Later that year it was let to the Imperial Ambassador of the German Empire. The house was valued at £6,300 by 1828, when Robert Mushet of the Royal Mint died there.
The house was sold in 1849 to the Strand Union Guardians for a school for London workhouse children, and over the next 40 years several extensions were made to the house which by 1897 housed 400 children. The school was partly self- sufficient complete with two meadows, cultivated land and a herd of cows and some pigs. The children were taught trades; the boys, tailoring, shoe making and carpentry; the girls, housework, needlework and laundering.
In 1913 the school closed and by the beginning of World War I housed Belgian refugees. The house was converted into the St Davids Hospital for Epileptics in 1915 by the Metropolitan Asylums Board.
By 1971 the house was acquired by the London Borough of Enfield, who renovated and demolished some of the work house buildings, although a lodge and outbuildings from that period remain as well as an early 20th century lodge. The house was re-opened as an Arts Centre in 1979 and includes Millfield Theatre. Weir Hall library was on site until December 2008 but has since been relocated to Fore Street, Edmonton. The space has now been redeveloped as a cafe bar and performance space. In the gardens one of the few remaining communal air- raid shelters in Enfield can be found, adjacent to the garden is the St David's play area.
When hired, the venue offers the ability to sell tickets through its own box office, subject to a commission.
The Arts Centre is renowned for its in-house pantomimes. ‘Jack & The Beanstalk’ opens in November 2010.